Saturday, March 8, 2014

Super healthy, but is it super yummy? Jury still out.

I just drank down my breakfast - a hearty Kale-Pineapple smoothie.  I was not impressed.

I know that kale packs a punch with nutrients.  But seriously, eating healthy should be something to savor, not to endure.  I found it a bit too bitter for my taste.

I have had kale chips in at a fancy reception that I  thought were positively yummy.  But those were baked in a convection oven, which I don't have.  When I tried to make them in my regular oven, they didn't come out all that great.  I also tried making them in my dehydrator.  I made the mistake of adding seasoning which pretty much made them nasty.

So I have on more thing to try before I give up on kale.  Just found this recipe online HERE at Lifescript.com.




Kale & Potato HashServe as a side with steak or pork chops, or set a poached egg on top for a hearty breakfast or brunch. When preparing kale for this recipe, remove tough ribs, tear kale as directed, then wash it, allowing some water to cling to leaves. This moisture helps steam the kale during the first stages of cooking.

Serves: 4
Preparation time: 35 minutes

Ingredients8 cups torn kale leaves (about 1/2 large bunch)
2 tablespoons horseradish
1 medium shallot, minced
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups cooked shredded potatoes
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Preparation 1. Place kale in a large microwave-safe bowl, cover, and microwave until wilted, about 3 minutes. Drain, cool slightly, and finely chop.

2. Mix horseradish, shallot, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Add chopped kale and potatoes; stir to combine.

3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add kale mixture, spread into an even layer, and cook, stirring every 3-4 minutes and returning mixture to an even layer, until potatoes begin to turn golden brown and crisp, 12-15 minutes total.

Enjoy!

Nutrition Facts
Per serving:
240 calories
12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono)
0 mg cholesterol
30 g carbohydrate
6 g protein
5 g fiber
651 mg potassium
244 mg sodium

One more note - unless you know you are getting your kale organic it is very important to rinse it thoroughly.  This is one of the vegetables that has been found to harbor pesticide residue - so be wary.

No comments:

Post a Comment