Friday, March 7, 2014

Bountiful Basket

We just picked up our first Bountiful Basket.I'm pretty happy with what we got.

Just in case you are not familiar with the whole Bountiful Basket Food Co-Op (BBFC)  experience, here is a bit of info from their website:

BBFC is a group of people who work together for mutual benefit. This is a grassroots, all volunteer, no contracts, no catch co-operative. Since there are no employees at Bountiful Baskets, we as a group pay rock bottom prices on your food. This also means the co-op would not happen without volunteers. If you are interested in the co-op continuing, please volunteer occasionally. All it takes is a little time, energy and a smile. Volunteer opportunities include helping prepare the baskets, breaking down boxes, assisting with the distribution, and packing up. To help out, simply arrive an hour early dressed and ready to work with water to drink.
One last little thing… To quote a press release that a local City put out to encourage residents to consider participating, “Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op is a participatory experience. Participants all save a substantial amount of money on healthy food. In exchange there are no employees to guide participants through the experience.” Please read the contents of the FAQ and Policies before emailing us. All the information necessary to participate is available on the website.http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/

Bountiful Basket programs are available all across the country.  My sister got her basket of yummies last week in Colorado.

This is what we got: this week:

VEGGIES:
     1 bunch of kale
     1 head of cauliflower
     1 celery
     2 bunches of asparagus
     6 Anaheim green chilies
     1 jicama
     2 Spaghetti Squash

FRUIT:
     4 Tangelos
     6 Cameo apples
     2 Asian pears
     3 Grapefruit
     9 Green d 'Anjou pears



I'm pleased with both the variety of the selection and the amount of stuff we got.  It would be nice to be eating more locally grown produce, but since this is only the first week of March, I get it that some of this stuff came to us from Mexico.  It will be interesting to see how the balance of near and far food stuffs plays out as the growing season progresses.

I would not have purchased the spaghetti squash, since I still have a basket full from my own garden in storage.  Also, sadly, neither Larry nor I can eat the grapefruit.  We LOVE grapefruit, but alas, since we both take statin drugs to control cholesterol grapefruit in not allowed.

While some studies suggest moderate amounts of grapefruit are ok, there is no clear consensus.  So I have just accepted the idea that as long as I'm taking lovastatin, I will not eat grapefruit.  That makes me kinda sad, because I do miss it.  Besides, my favorite home remedy for hiccoughs is to concentrate on a grapefruit for 2 minutes.  Imagine the smell, the taste, the look of it. Every single time, it makes the hiccoughs go away. I don't know why it works, but it does.  Except I have not eaten grapefruit in so long that the last time I had a bad case of the hiccoughs I could not for the life of me imagine one.  So maybe I'll just hold one, deeply smell it, gaze on it's sweet flesh, run my tongue across it once or twice to remind myself of the taste, and then say goodbye.  At least that should help me with my next case of hiccoughs, even if I don't get to make fresh juice.


No comments:

Post a Comment